*This course is now available to take online at your own pace.
At the heart of our course offerings is a book-by-book journey through the entire Bible, from Creation to New Creation—Genesis to Revelation. We break it up into manageable, ten-week sections and spread it out over three years. (Students are naturally not required to commit to an entire three-year program; they may take as many or as few of the ten-week sections as fit their schedules.)
This signature stream of courses is designed to familiarize the student with the overarching structure and message of the whole Bible, which is unique among the holy books of the various religions because it comprises two testaments, and thus speaks to us in two different “registers” rather than one. So this stream of courses focuses specifically on two questions:
- How does each book contribute to and interact with its own Testament? (For example, how does the book of Isaiah affect the overall message of the Old Testament, which begins with Genesis and ends with Malachi?)
- How does each book and its role in its Testament contribute to the overall message of the whole Bible? (For example, how does the message of Genesis in the Old Testament affect the meaning of the Gospel of Matthew or Luke in the New Testament?)
We begin the journey with the first five books (often called the ‘Pentateuch’): Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. Since “All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness” (2 Timothy 3:16-17), students can expect this course not only to inform their understanding of the Bible, but also to form and to transform their lives as women and men of God in the community of faith.
- Sacred Scripture, the Bible (preferably ESVCE [English Standard Version, Catholic Edition] or RSVCE 2nd edition [Revised Standard Version; Catholic Edition])
- Instructor’s notes (provided and included in the registration cost)
- ‘Clean’ and ‘Unclean’ in Leviticus: A Theological Summary
- “And YHWH Heard”: When God’s People Murmur Against Their Leaders (Numbers 12:1-16)
Classroom Location & Directions